Is Time Out a Good Discipline Tool?

What is Time Out Discipline?

Time out is a form of punishment meted out to kids when they are naughty. This includes keeping quiet and standing or sitting in a corner for a period of time. The punishment is actually given to kids so that they will think about the things they have done or said and will repent.

Is Time Out Effective?

This type of disciplinary action  is effective only when carried out properly. You cannot carry out this form of punishment on kids who are below the age of 1 as they do not understand why they are receiving the punishment. Also, you need to keep the time out time to less than 5 minutes as kids tend to get fidgety and they cannot hold one thought for a longer period of time.

Once the time out is over, you need to sit down the child and speak with him as to what had happened, why you have given that punishment and what he had learnt. Also, it is important to bring him to the conclusion that that the behavior that has triggered the time out will not be tolerated and why.

Apart from all this, we as parents need to understand that kids forget and they will get into the same situation again. This time out discipline is not a one time done and forgotten kind of thing. The next time it happens, and believe me it will, you need to take the same measure of discipline again. If you do not, you may or may not remember, but your kids will remember and they will realize that they can get away such behavior as well.

I do carry out this disciplinary behavior with my daughter. This has proven effective and she respects me for that. I follow through with what I say I will and I follow through with it completely even if it may seem like an inconvenience for me at that point in time.

I have realized that when the whole episode of discipline ends, my daughter loves me the same as before as I feel she realizes that I do not like what she did and this has nothing to do with the love I have for her as a person.

Do you carry out time out sessions with your kids? Does it work? What do you do after the time out session? I would love to hear from you all and learn from you.